Thread: Groceries

Status
    Liked

Groceries

I know this might sound like a small issue to most of the single guys with no dependents but I have my kids 50% of the time so it came as a huge revelation to me on saving money.

Normally when I was married, we always shopped at one of the Kroger chain stores for food or maybe Wally World.

Since I got my new place, I noticed that there was a Wally World, another Kroger store and a Aldi grocery store on the same corner. I decided to take the chance and go to the Aldi. Glad I did. The same list I had that would of been over $200 at Kroger or Wally World I got for under $80. That is a pretty significant amount on grocery savings. Yeah, it is off brands you don't usually see in the US, it actually looks like quite a bit of it comes from Canada and seems to be as good a quality as anything made in the US.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by PointermanKS View Post
    I know this might sound like a small issue to most of the single guys with no dependents but I have my kids 50% of the time so it came as a huge revelation to me on saving money.

Normally when I was married, we always shopped at one of the Kroger chain stores for food or maybe Wally World.

Since I got my new place, I noticed that there was a Wally World, another Kroger store and a Aldi grocery store on the same corner. I decided to take the chance and go to the Aldi. Glad I did. The same list I had that would of been over $200 at Kroger or Wally World I got for under $80. That is a pretty significant amount on grocery savings. Yeah, it is off brands you don't usually see in the US, it actually looks like quite a bit of it comes from Canada and seems to be as good a quality as anything made in the US.
    Some of the stuff is just as good. Some....eh, not so much. There are certain things that just taste...wrong....when you get the generic.

They may not have them where you live, but I used to like Meijer. Their produce selection was a LOT better than the Krogers or Walmarts where I used to live.

When I was feeding 5 people (plus whatever scumbag druggies Psycho Hellbitch's druggie faggot kid brought over while we were at work and proceeded to eat everything in the house), I saved a lot of money by going to this little grocery place where they sold all the about-to-go-stale bread, dented cans/boxes, that kind of stuff. If you can find one of those, you're golden.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Aldi is an excellent place to save mad cash. If you're in the Intermountain West of the US, then Winco is another awesome place to save some serious coin. I eat very well and very healthily and I have a monthly grocery budget of around $100 to $150 if I super splurge.

Status
    Liked
    Oh so you have ALDI too in the USA?

We have them here and they are great for saving money.

Also, it is worth taking the time once in a while, and compare the prices of several supermarkets. you can also make a list with 10 random items, note the prices in various supermarkets and so you get a general idea which supermarket tends to be cheaper.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfood Seller View Post
    Also, it is worth taking the time once in a while, and compare the prices of several supermarkets. you can also make a list with 10 random items, note the prices in various supermarkets and so you get a general idea which supermarket tends to be cheaper.
    That is great advice and well worth doing; it can save thousands in after-tax money over the course of a year, and for very little effort. And, since most grocery stores now put their sales circulars online, you can compare sales for your staple items as well.

Status
    Liked
    Meats:

On Sunday nights most grocery stores in the US tend to have a fair amount of meat that was put out the previous week so the meat lockers would be stocked for the weekend that are now hitting their "Sell By" dates and they mark them down. Voila ... around here if you merely ask the meat guy/gal if they will do a further markdown they usually will (by another 50% or so!) if the sell by date is the next day or so.

To get them to do that you usually have to go after about 7:30 in the evening, 8 is better but some stores don't staff their meat departments after 8, since after that time few people are out grocery shopping. Have a friend who does that weekly and he generally AVERAGES 75% to 80% off of the original meat price - YOU HAVE TO ASK THOUGH FOR THE FURTHER MARKDOWN (and they generally won't mark down stuff that isn't already marked down). OH ... works with bread products also. They throw out LOTS of bread products every day fwiw.

Another place with cheap food in the US is the chain "Save-A-Lot". Some generics are indistinguishable from the real McCoy, others are not so good, so you have to test a package to determine. They also stock some brand names, but near expiration date, items. This store is cheaper than Aldi's fwiw.

Older and Wiser

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    That is great advice and well worth doing; it can save thousands in after-tax money over the course of a year, and for very little effort.
    Yes. The day you actually do the regular price comparison list,you feel like a grumpy stingy bored pensioner, noting prices and looking where the joghurt is 5ct. cheaper etc. and you may ask yourself what the fuck you're doing here. But it really makes a big difference over the course of a month, a year, a decade...

The point is not to waste half an hour each time you go shopping in order to buy your package of yoghurt for 5ct less because you run to the second place just for that, but to get a general clue and select a favorite supermarket/discounter. Once you go shopping there regularly, after a while, you know the prices by heart. Which makes it easier to make more detailed comparisons and to maybe switch over time, or to better detect bargains somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    And, since most grocery stores now put their sales circulars online, you can compare sales for your staple items as well.
    This, too. Also, the bargains for non-food items can be interesting too. When you see that your socks/cushion/wooden spoons or whatever are getting old, it is worth taking the time and look what they cost regularly, then wait a couple of weeks or months and then buy them when the discounters have them for those products which they only occasionally have. You save money over time if you buy this kind of things 2 months before or after you'd replace them anyway but for half the price.

Usually, discounters sell their seasonal and non-food sales right before season or when "selling season" for the item is just over. Fly screens e. g. are easy to find there in March/April at a good price, and typical christmas presents are often drastically reduced around silvester (we got a HP printer/copier/scanner for 25 euro around silvester one month ago, go figure!). Also, right before they close for the week-end, in the last evening, fresh groceries are often cheaper because they need to get rid of them.

I don't know about the situation in the USA and what ALDI exactly offers there, but here in Germany, we basically have 2 discounter chains in close concurrence to ALDI: Lidl and PennyMarkt. Their prices are cheap, and this they can do by offering not that much choice and being big market players. Also, some of their no-name items are produced by the same companies which produce brand articles, and these articles are usually either similar or right away identical - for half the price. So this is where I get the everyday stuff. For our mediterranean stuff, I stick to Turkish grocery stores though because ALDI etc. don't have much of that. In general, for bigger, not every-day articles, I like to wait before replacing them and looking up sales for weeks and months before I "strike".

Also, I have figured out with another "10 random items price list" that a certain drugstore chain sells its products still a bit cheaper than those you get at PennyMarkt, 5-20% - I'd have expected the contrary before trying out. Since I found out, we mostly buy our drugstore articles there. 10% of 50 Euro a month is just 5 Euro, but this also sums up to 60 Euro a year.

There are also a couple of cooking books available "Kochen mit ALDI" or "Das ALDI-Kochbuch", maybe they have something similar for the USA? (You probably have other products there)

Also, in Germany, we have books where you can look up which no-name article in these discounters correspond to which brand articles, and which companies produce which articles. Sounds tedious looking that shit up, but if you do it when you feel like doing so you'll know over time, and most people tend to buy the same 200 articles anyway most of the time so it's not that horrible. Just look it up for the stuff you buy regularly.

ALDI is quite popular here, as is Lidl and PennyMarkt.
    Last edited by Catfood Seller; 09-02-14 at 02:07 AM.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by womanhater View Post
    Aldi is an excellent place to save mad cash. If you're in the Intermountain West of the US, then Winco is another awesome place to save some serious coin. I eat very well and very healthily and I have a monthly grocery budget of around $100 to $150 if I super splurge.
    Not that I don't believe this, but is it possible to post a few days or a weeks worth of meals that you eat. Produce is cheap, but what do you buy that is dense in calories?

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat's Cat View Post
    Not that I don't believe this, but is it possible to post a few days or a weeks worth of meals that you eat. Produce is cheap, but what do you buy that is dense in calories?
    Great idea for a new thread!

Veteran Member

Status
    Liked
    Take a few minutes to look at grocery store circulars you get in the mail and/or your local Sunday paper. My local Albertson's often has buy one petite sirloin steak / chicken breasts / pork chops, get two free of equal or lesser value. I stock up on these things when I see these offers. Special deals and coupons are usually abundant for stuff you would buy anyway.

If you go to the same store all the time, you'll start to notice trends as to when certain items go on sale.

Get a grocery store card if they offer one. I sometimes get a $5 coupon off my entire bill if it totals a minimum of $30, plus I save anywhere from $0.10 to $0.50 / gallon for gas at Shell with mine.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPragmatic View Post
    Take a few minutes to look at grocery store circulars you get in the mail and/or your local Sunday paper. My local Albertson's often has buy one petite sirloin steak / chicken breasts / pork chops, get two free of equal or lesser value. I stock up on these things when I see these offers. Special deals and coupons are usually abundant for stuff you would buy anyway.

If you go to the same store all the time, you'll start to notice trends as to when certain items go on sale.

Get a grocery store card if they offer one. I sometimes get a $5 coupon off my entire bill if it totals a minimum of $30, plus I save anywhere from $0.10 to $0.50 / gallon for gas at Shell with mine.
    Don't forget to use a fake name, address, and phone # for this.