Thread: Any Command & Conquer / Renegade /Tiberian Sun fans?

Status
    Liked

Any Command & Conquer / Renegade /Tiberian Sun fans?

Back in the day, I was pretty hooked on Tiberian Sun, then I got into Command & Conquer Renegade but I felt it was a missed opportunity. Then I saw this cancelled project and was even more annoyed because it looked so great.

Some time later I heard about a team called 'Totem Arts' who set out to create an updated version of Command & Conquer Renegade called 'Renegade X'. Approximately 6 years later it is nearing it's first release on the 26th February 2014. I like that it will include the option of playing against the AI bots in offline mode. They already released a beta and a stand alone single player version called 'Renegade X Black dawn' though.

Check out what they have done, it's the holy grail for any Command & Conquer fan!

Below is a Dev play through showing multiplayer.

Another great project that brings Tiberian Sun to life is 'Tiberian Sun Reborn' but it doesn't have the option of playing against any AI bots so it's online play only at the moment.

Last edited by mghow_masculinist; 01-02-14 at 06:33 PM.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Damn !

I used to play Tiberium Sun a lot, thanks for the heads up ! Will observe with great interest.

MGTOW Skilled

Status
    Liked
    I played the shit out of some C&C back in the day. Tiberian Sun was fun but I played more Command and Conquer - Red Alert 1 & 2 / Yuri's Revenge. I had a mod that I found where everyone (multiplayer and AI) could play with the other countries' units.

I played as the US with the Soviet blimps, British snipers, Korean jets, Cuban terrorists, and Lybian VBIEDs. The mod was called Bad Moon Rising (just like the song.) I haven't played it since 2002 or so. Mainly because I can't find it anywhere. I recently saw "The Command and Conquer Collection" on Amazon. 5 C&C games including Tiberian Sun. I'm tempted to buy it but it's $95 atm and I'm not paying that much for them. I'll probably pick it up later on if they drop the price a bit.

Edit: for those of you with iPads, I picked up a Red Alert game for iPad on the App Store. Cost $5-6 iirc. Worth it. It's not the PC version, but still fun nonetheless.
    Last edited by Reverend Henry Kane; 01-02-14 at 04:45 PM.

Status
    Liked
    Loved RA and RA2 especially - actually designed a miniatures game based on the RA universe, love the pulp sci-fi stuff! For some reason could never quite get into RA3 as much. Generals was great though- believe they've done a sequel, anyone tried it?

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Loved RA and RA2 especially - actually designed a miniatures game based on the RA universe, love the pulp sci-fi stuff! For some reason could never quite get into RA3 as much. Generals was great though- believe they've done a sequel, anyone tried it?
    I heard that EA cancelled it. EA always seem to cancel the good stuff to release mediocre stuff in its place. In the mean time, I will be checking out Zero Hour Reborn (Mod).

MGTOW Master

Status
    Liked
    I played generals but compared to starcraft it seemed kinda slapdash.

the last RTS I played was WH40k dawn of war 2. I completed the campaign but I always got stomped in 3v3 so I quit after a week.

Veteran Member

Status
    Liked
    I have played the C&C games from the first one (released in 1995) to Tiberian Wars. So many memories.

Can't wait for the release of Renegade X!

Status
    Liked
    Of course, I still have all those boxes from Dune 2, Blade Runner, C&C Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert (all addons), Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun. Oh, and of course Dune 2000.

The best thing about Westwood games was always the soundtrack! Frank Klepacki really had a gift for composing awesome OSTs.

After red alert 2 the style changed to much for my taste, didn't feel like C&C / RA anymore. (IMHO)

Banned

Status
    Liked
    The original was the best. Lots of memories.

Kind of like Lego ...

Status
    Liked
    I spent a whole summer playing Tiberian Dawn with the expansion packs when it first came out. I think that was in middle school. It made me near sighted. I've needed glasses ever since.

But it was worth it.

After Red Alert, I had to put the video games away, in the same way an alcoholic has to stop drinking alcohol completely.

Agreed, Frank Klepacki put out some good music. My portable device has most of his stuff on it.

Status
    Liked
    I played Red Alert, Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun, Command and Conquer, RA2, Yuri's Revenge, Generals, and RA3. Those and Sim City were the games of my childhood and adolescence. RA2 was beautiful in every way, and I think the series peaked then.

RA3 had some good points and they put a lot of effort into it but it had major disappointments for these reasons.
    1. Tanya was not attractive
    2. General Krukov played the 'bad guy' role with no conviction
    3. Naval units were hella OP and they are a few other top tier units made the rest of the units, including infantry and tanks, nearly entirely useless
    4. Empire of the Rising Sun was too cartoony, shouldn't have been added, messed up the Allies vs. Soviet dynamic
    5. Screen was too close to the ground, units and buildings were too chunky, it felt like you were playing a movie
    6. AI in the campaign wasn't hard enough
    7. Online multiplayer took too long to find players, and even then most games would be won in the first 5 minutes because whoever won the "rush engineers/war bears/attack dogs" part to the oil refinery would win first.

Generals had again, weak campaign AI, and online play was a fiasco because you could see peoples win/loss and so games would take 30+ minutes to start.

All around good games though.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by chainlightning View Post
    I have played the C&C games from the first one (released in 1995) to Tiberian Wars. So many memories.

Can't wait for the release of Renegade X!
    There is also a FPS / RTS mods for Red Alert:

Red Alert: A Path Beyond

The other Tiberian Sun Mod I am looking forward to is this one:

Status
    Liked
    I'm not a fan of online gaming but I gave Tiberian Sun Reborn a try and it was excellent. You don't need to create an account to play online, you just join one of the servers with what type of game or map you wish. I was a lone Jump-jet infantry harassing base defenses, defending a Mammoth Mk. II from hijack attempts from the Mutant Hijacker, facing off against Nod Helicopters etc. You can get veteran status too.

On my first play through, I accidentally shot at allies, attacked a hijacked (friendly) Mammoth Mk. II, and plummeted to my death by accidentally shutting down my Jumpjet pack while in mid-air haha.

After I got used to it, I really got into it. I highly recommend this to all. I think Renegade X will be just as great, if not better online though. Although I was playing as lone wolf, I was invited into a NOD base rush because I was playing as Ghoststalker and this guy is essential to take down bases effectively.