Thread: Office relocation - oppressive commute

Status
    Liked

Office relocation - oppressive commute

I changed jobs about 6 months ago, but today I was informed that there are plans to relocate the office in the next 6 months or so. The unfortunate part is that although the current office is a comfortable commute for me, the new proposed location is directly away from me and puts it outside of my acceptable range for a long term situation. The city I live in has poor public transit, and the combination of non-fixed schedules and locations of other employees means that carpooling is not an option. Additionally, we sometimes work 6 days/week so that means even more driving.

To be honest, I feel like this was bait-and-switch, as I would not have accepted the position had I known about the upcoming relocation. Commute time is definitely important to me, since this is extra time out of my day that I do not get compensated for. I do not particularly like driving and consider it expensive, dangerous, and a waste of time. The wintry weather really reinforces the importance of this.

Aside from the upcoming relocation, this job does seem to be an upgrade from my previous employment: moderate pay increase, fits my skill set more closely, more demanding hours in the office but less travel (this is a worthwhile trade), better work environment in terms of management and coworkers.

I'm in a bit of a quandry on how to approach this. While I won't take any direct action until the relocation actually happens (because nothing is final until it happens), I do feel the need to have a solid plan in place. I own my house, so simply picking up and moving isn't easy.

My options, as I see it:
    • Start looking for a closer job once the office relocates. I can handle the commute for a few months, just not as a long term situation. I always consider new jobs a gamble, because you never know how things will play out until you make the jump. Also, while there are fair number of potential opportunities near me, I would definitely be restricting myself because I don't live near the hotspots.
    • Renting a small studio apartment or renting a room from someone as a sort of weekday outpost. If I'm going to go this route, I would likely put myself within walking or bicycle distance. Daily exercise is very welcome.
    • Rent out my house and rent something more livable (as opposed to the weekday outpost).
    • Try to negotiate for some telecommuting, but I don't think this is feasible due to equipment and focus on teamwork.
    • Try to negotiate for 4/10s, but I think this would be a pointless gesture given how often we need to work extended hours near deadlines.
    • Try to negotiate for more money. I haven't been there long enough to entertain this now, but by the time of the relocation I will be there about a year. Management does seem reasonable and might give a modest pay increase due to extra cost/time incurred. This wouldn't directly address the issue for me, but it would make other options easier for me.

Factors to consider:
    • The rental market should allow me to cover the costs of the mortgage, insurance, and taxes. The area my house is should also be fairly easy to rent. There are a few rentals on my block, so I'm basing my assessment on that. However, I would still be out maintenance/repairs, vacancies, and property management costs. I would not attempt this without a property manager.
    • I make substantially more than what my expenses are and could actually cover the costs of the house and renting something near work (including the nicer/livable option), though the costs are enough that I would prefer not to. Thus I could actually cover a vacancy.
    • Similar to above, taking a reasonable pay cut for a short commute is an option.
    • I don't really consider selling the house to be an option at this time. Shitty seller's market (despite strong rental market) and retaining the option to return if I don't stay at job for any reason. The days of staying at 1 job for an entire career are pretty much over. I may decide to sell at a later point, but holding out for a few years of renter-financed paydown + market upswing would be a big advantage.

It's times like this where I am VERY happy that I do not have a wife and/or children and the associated expenses. I at least have some options besides "suck it up."
    Last edited by Gromnir; 07-01-14 at 06:38 AM.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    It's good to see a brother consider all the options, and their relative merits, by using reason and logic.

I would rent a weekday outpost and spend the next few months scoping out the situation, especially with regard to salary increase and security.

Status
    Liked
    Depends on what the commute it. If it is a 90 minute commute instead of a 45 minute commute, it might be better to rent a room close to the place and rent your house out, depending on what rents are like in the area and what boarders are charging.

Personally I would cop it on the chin and use the driving commute as personal development time, where possible. I strangely find commuting to be somewhat relaxing (if you dealt with the people I do at work you'd know why) but it isn't for everyone. If you have to spend an extra $30/week on fuel, I think that is better than contemplating spending $150+/week on a rental pad. The commute based on the above example is only about four extra hours per week. Unless you are earning $40+/hour, it would be cheaper to commute the extra distance.

Also try and get a raise to take into account the increased commute!