Thread: In praise of coffee

Banned

Status
    Liked

In praise of coffee

I really like perusing MGTOW forums; to peruse them while enjoying a cup of good coffee is a sublime experience.

The forums are intellectually stimulating, and so is coffee; one provides the content and ideas, the other primes the brain to more fully enjoy the experience.

Whether I am drinking good ol' maxwell house from my drip maker, or enjoying a purchased (large) hazelnut from Dunkin Donuts, the two together are more than the sum of their parts.

Amaretto or Hazelnut flavored creamers just make it better.

The only thing I worry about is the random post by Vic or the Reverend HK while sipping; can be sloppy/dangerous.

MGTOW Skilled

Status
    Liked
    I set aside coffee for yerba mate, for a few years, after some travel to way-south South America (Uruguay) ... but I've come back to coffee after I was introduced to the Aeropress coffee-maker. It's an interesting, manual-press kind of device that combines aspects of the French-press, filter-drip, and espresso methods in a hand-held device a little bigger than a soft-drink can. It makes one cup at a time, any strength from espresso to wussy, in less than a minute all told - and the ultimate of freshness.

Imagine a hypodermic syringe the diameter of a beer bottle. Instead of a needle at the business end, you have a wide flange and a sturdy, perforated plastic filter holder. Put a filter in the holder and attach it to the bottom of the syringe tube; spoon in a measure of coffee and put the tube on top of your coffee cup. Pour hot water into the syringe-tube, stir it up for a few seconds, then put in the plunger and slowly press the coffee into the cup. It brings out the best of the coffee and leaves behind the bitter oils you can get with longer-brew systems, and the grounds are compressed into a little "hockey puck" that you can pop out of the syringe-tube after you remove the filter holder.

I have one at home and one on the sailboat. It uses no electricity, unless you heat your teakettle on an electric range. It has four parts - the plunger and its gasket, the syringe and its filter-holder. You provide the pressure. The only thing that can go wrong is if you let the coffee-mug tip while you're pressing, which is a TERRIBLE mess ... I'm going to see if the Aeropress fits into one of those wide-based, non-tip stainless steel coffee mugs they have in the We$t Marine catalog. Or maybe I'll start pressing my coffee with the mug in the mug-holders mounted on the helm pedestal; that's more convenient for popping the "hockey puck" grounds into my wake.

Beware of caffeinated crabs in the West River, south of Annapolis, MD.

Status
    Liked
    There's a no reading GIT's posts rule when I have coffee. Another thing to try with coffee is adding MCT oil to it. I tried it once after listening to the Joe Rogan podcast, and haven't looked back. It gives the coffee a different good taste and makes it so you won't be hungry until afternoon.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Because of me, there is a rule.

MGTOW Skilled

Status
    Liked
    Man, I really wish I liked coffee, but I absolutely hate it. Tea (hot or cold, black or green) monster energy drinks, and coke zero are my caffeinated vices.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Coffee , tea , Vodka rockstars , caffeine is a good thing taken in moderation , fortunately I'm safe from everybody's posts as growing up having emotional control was drilled into me , so it's pretty hard to get me to crack up unless I choose to lower my guard . I have this stainless steel coffee maker from ikea that makes hella strong coffee , only used it a few times you just put it directly on the stove .

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMaster View Post
    Coffee , tea , Vodka rockstars , caffeine is a good thing taken in moderation , fortunately I'm safe from everybody's posts as growing up having emotional control was drilled into me , so it's pretty hard to get me to crack up unless I choose to lower my guard . I have this stainless steel coffee maker from ikea that makes hella strong coffee , only used it a few times you just put it directly on the stove .

Is it a percolator? I am intrigued.