Thread: Making Some Changes...

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked

Making Some Changes...

So a while back (maybe a month or so?) I resolved to transition to a paleo diet, and I've been largely successful (I still allow beer; the craft breweries up here are insane ). I can tell I'm getting healthier because the one day I broke down and got a pizza (even though pizza up here sucks compared to what you can find in my hometown), I felt sick after eating it. And don't mean the "I should have stopped two slices ago!" over-stuffed feeling; I mean something more like the aching bones & exhaustion you might feel with a bad cold or flu (and I'll spare you the details of what it did to my bowels over the next two days...)

Womanhater once mentioned that there's evidence to suggest that wheat gluten has neurotoxic properties (please feel free to correct me if I'm recalling that incorrectly). After that experience, I believe it.

So I'm resolving to go a bit further; not full-on raw-vegan, but to at least add some raw vegan meals to my rotation. This morning I had my first Joe Rogan-style kale shake. He talks about them a lot on his podcasts, and how good he feels after drinking them. So I though, what the hey?

That smoothie is a freakin' BEAST. It wound up bigger than I thought it would be. The water would separate out from the sludge, so I had to stir it every couple of sips. And even after blending the ever-loving shit out of it, it still required chewing (though that might be psychological). It didn't taste bad, though it also didn't taste particularly good. It took almost an hour to finish the damn thing. But, as promised, I feel pretty damn good! My paleo breakfasts (usually 2 egg veggie omelettes) tend to make me want to crawl back into bed to sleep them off...

IIRC, there are a lot of raw-smoothie fans here; so I ask, does anyone have recommendations for improving or stabalizing the consistency of these sorts of smoothies?

Status
    Liked
    I was thinking that you do have allergy to gluten, a certain block of peptides, which is found in wheat. Some people lack the enzyme(s) to fully digest wheat products, and you have some symptoms indicative of the disorder.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Entirely possible... though I didn't have the extreme reaction prior to detoxing from it for a few weeks. Whereas I know someone with a diagnosis of Celiac's disease, who has dealt with lifelong bad reactions more extreme than what I experienced...

Ah, just googled it (I'm just old & tech-foolish enough to forget sometimes!). Sounds like, from the symptoms, I might have non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. Whole different animal.

Bottom line is, I'm feeling better since phasing out processed foods & wheat!

Status
    Liked
    There's also food intolerance. I have food intolerance of wheat. It's not as bad as Celiac but it can cause problems.

Raw foods can be really dangerous. Cooking actually isn't a conspiracy to rob you of vitamins. It's to kill the tuberculosis bacteria on your vegetables that were helpfully deposited there by the less-than-hygenic undocumented worker who picked it.

If you haven't yet, you should look into taking a nice probiotic, the more strains the better, as well as Vitamin K2 made from natto bean and get some prune juice and make sure to drink 2-3 ounces per day, like medicine. Those things should give your guts a tune-up and help you derive more benefit from the food you eat.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    @Contrapositive: I'll research that, thanks!