Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any IT Professionals on MGTOW Forums?

Elam wants to be me

Status
    Liked

Do we have any IT Professionals on MGTOW Forums?

I'd be interested to know if any of you guys work in IT or are trying to get into IT? When I say IT I mean anything and everything IT i.e. helpdesk, networking, programming, web design, sys admin, desktop support, management etc

Cheers chaps!
    Support MGTOW Forums, go GOLD

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Nacho Vidal View Post
    I'd be interested to know if any of you guys work in IT or are trying to get into IT? When I say IT I mean anything and everything IT i.e. helpdesk, networking, programming, web design, sys admin, desktop support, management etc

Cheers chaps!
    I was a network geek in a past life and my skill set is a bit stale.

MGTOW Skilled

Status
    Liked
    I've thought of going to ITT Tech when I'm done at my community college.

Status
    Liked
    I worked as an admin for 6 years before switching to copywriting (for an IT consultancy). Kept my skill set mostly up, but I know some of the tech's changed on me.

Lately I've mulled over getting back into IT: either the network admin, CRM or Linux admin fields.

Is help needed someplace? I'm sure several of us can pitch in advice/work if needed.

Status
    Liked
    I recommend watching IT Crowd. The guys are your typical IT geeks (Roy and Moss) who work down in a basement until Jen arrives. Jen is the IT's brand new Relationship Manager since she's not all that computer savvy. Nonetheless, it is hilarious and I think anyone who's worked with a helpdesk can relate (Have you tried turning it off and on again?). It's a bit hard to come by full episodes unless you're a UK citizen though.

Status
    Liked
    Worked in IT. Long story.

Banned

Status
    Liked

Been in IT for 15 years ...

I'm a "network engineer" - data communications - read "the Cisco guy" or "the network guy" - basically anything Internet Protocol.

It has sent me to the edge many times.

But it pays well.

Status
    Liked
    I currently work in IT. I work with vmware, MS, cisco and netapp. I passed the CCNA and I'm working towards my CCNP.

Status
    Liked
    Former C++ and Java developer. My current title is unix admin, and have done that, but I mostly administer middleware applications such as Apache, Websphere Application Server, and other IBM websphere suite applications.

Veteran Member

Status
    Liked
    I've done a lot of different things over past 11 years. Server/Network admin, desktop support, web programming, databases, SharePoint...

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Software developer here. Mostly .Net (C#) currently, but I try not to get too deep in the Microsoft ecosystem. Used to write software for the financial sector, but I am now attempting to start a business/taking a mini-retirement from corporate BS.

Status
    Liked
    Industrial computers and control displays for power plants here, now taking a post-grad network security program (I saw some Scary Shit at my old job, and I want to learn to fix it).

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Yes.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    While I've got the typical alphabet behind my name of industry certifications, I'm really just one of those men who can play with something for an hour or so and completely understand it. I taught myself everything I know, and the certification exams were easy bullshit after I've used the software in question for a few days. I think most IT guys are like that truth be told. The certifications are really just for employers and HR twats. I remember well the time I hired a 16 year old dropout who had a very unkempt appearance and everyone in management thought I was nuts - that kids was the best database admin I've ever met, and he singlehandedly secured our network better than the assholes from Microsoft and McAfee could. The brass were all impressed that I had saved the company over $15K a month by using VPN solutions (remember this is around 2001), but this kid saved the company close to $1 million in his writing of an app that totally streamlined the manufacturing process for the company. When it comes to IT, either you just get it naturally or you don't. If you're not a computer geek, you never will be. It's a native talent like singing or athletic ability.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by womanhater View Post
    When it comes to IT, either you just get it naturally or you don't. If you're not a computer geek, you never will be. It's a native talent like singing or athletic ability.
    I don't know if this is true in general, but it is for me. I've been in IT in various capacities for over 15 years. And frankly, I don't know shit about it. I have no formal training or schooling in it. I have an uncanny knack for being able to figure out the system or app that I work directly with, wade through mountains of documentation to learn only what I need to know, and get it working. I have the IT equivalent of a green thumb. And when I leave for the day, or even for lunch, from the moment I go out the door I don't think about anything IT until I'm sitting at my desk again.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by womanhater View Post
    When it comes to IT, either you just get it naturally or you don't. If you're not a computer geek, you never will be. It's a native talent like singing or athletic ability.
    I generally agree, finding that even understanding computers to the level where one could make a career doing it is probably limited to <10% of the population (hence the decent pay.) However, even within IT (as Nacho broke out) there are subdomains that require different skill sets. Designing, planning, and ultimately coding a large software application is probably the most challenging. It requires a high level of spatial intelligence, language knowledge, and even domain knowledge that probably surpasses many in that field. For example, coding a financial application meant that I knew more about the principals and theory of modern portfolio theory and its practice than the business/finance guys. You're essentially 'teaching' it to a computer.

In any case, individuals that might not be great coders may be able to quickly parse documentation and troubleshoot problems making them good network support or DBAs, say. A typical helpdesk employee will not be as good with the systems as a backend guy, but maybe they have a bit more people-skills than the unwashed, introverted code monkey.

I will say, in the spirit of this board, that I have never met a female software engineer that impressed me. Even in CompSci in college, there were 3 girls, and only one seemed to get it. The others were headed to big consulting firms (smart move), where quotas and diversity would insure that their sub-par skills were never questioned.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    In my 17th year of IT. I've worked on IBM System 36, AS/400, Novell, All windows servers up to 2008, SQL server is one of my specialties along with many other databases, Crystal Reports developer, pretty much every desktop you can imagine, latops, all Windows desktop O/S, some linux, and I program. I do ethernet cabling, backup, hardware maintenance, server hardware maintenance, RAID arrays, network security, routers, switches have done some web stuff but I hate it. Lately I've been doing a lot more programming though, in Visual Basic as I'm working on an upgrade project. I started out working for an accounting firm, but have also worked in law firms, property management, outsourced work all over the map, travel and tourism and now importing.

I started out at the mail room in the accounting firm and moved up to assistant IT manager. I dropped out of uni because I was learning way more on the job.

I have worked fucking rings around university graduates in Computer science. There is nothing like learning on the job, absolutely nothing can come close unless you do a co-op program. It was a tough haul but I got better every year, and learning new things became easier and easier.
    Last edited by Dj_mgtow; 30-08-11 at 08:40 PM.

Status
    Liked
    btw, Nacho. If you want to work with all-male teams, administration type work tends to be all-male. I've never met a female network admin, I've only met one UNIX admin. You will find a few more females among DBAs. But if you do application design, coding, or testing, you will definitely be working with females some of the time. Testing is the worst... the purpose of the job is to find problems in other people's work, so you can imagine...

Status
    Liked
    I'm in IT myself, I have a background in web development, client/server networks, SQL server, SAP R/3 and troubleshooting general PC/Mac issues without an A+ cert. I noticed quite a few brothers here are in IT. I'm just starting out. I love what I'm doing right now, but, I would definitely like to work with as few women as possible. I want to eventually get into the network or cyber security field of IT. If anyone is in the security field, I would definitely like to pick your brain and get an idea as to what I may be getting myself into.

Status
    Liked
    Im a VSAT engineer currently deployed to Afghanistan. Even working over here in the middle of the desert, you see the hamster brained BS of chicks. Im making a fortune and spending 0. I can't wait to return to society completely loaded with cash and no nagging GF or wife to have to waste it on.