Thread: Extreme Cheapskates

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked

Extreme Cheapskates

Has anyone ever seen this show? It's one of those TLC reality shows where each episode they follow around a different person who lives a thrifty life and is frugal with money. Since it's on TLC the only people I know who watch it are women, and they have nothing but terrible things to say about the people in this show.

While many of these people are legitimately cheap and have many WTF ideals, I also think they're extremely smart when it comes to their money. Most of them are able to build up their savings by cutting out aspects of their life that waste money - One guy had over $130,000 in savings, two different people were millionaires, and one family managed to eliminate $90,000 in credit card debt in one year by being thrifty. A lot of the ways they save money are practical. One guy unplugs all his electronics after use because they'll still suck up power if they're plugged in. Another guy will go to the butcher at his supermarket and offer to buy any leftover meat parts that would just be thrown out anyway, and he can pick up a ton of stuff for pocket change (It was literally pocket change, he searched around a pay phone and laundromat for dropped change).

The one guy whose ideals resonated the most with me was a guy who was all about leftovers. If he ever went out to eat, he'd look around and see if anyone was going to throw out their uneaten food. He'd take it, have it wrapped up, and could potentially have meals for the next few days. I bring this up because I'm always made fun of for my leftover habits. I went out to eat recently with a group of people, exactly 50/50 male/female. I only ate about half my meal, so I asked to have it wrapped up. All the girls at the table were going "Eewww!!!!" and asking how I could eat re-heated food. I told them that I think it's stupid to waste food, and I could make another meal out of it. The girls all had leftovers they were going to throw out, so they offered them to me. Now I have lunch and dinner for most of the week, and I can put off food shopping for at least a week. To me, food is just shit that fills you up and keeps you moving. It doesn't have to be gourmet, and bland store brand pasta still does the same stuff for hunger as would an expensive pasta dinner at a 5-star restaurant. And it's such a waste to spend full-price on something but only use half of it.

I think living frugally is a skill all MGTOW should possess. It's amazing how little a human really needs to survive on, and how much money you can save by cutting out superficial crap from your life. I guarantee this is a skill all men can learn. But women will always stand in the way of this. Hypergamy dictates that a woman desires resources and transference of wealth above anything else, which is why they desire high-class things. When a woman is with a man she'll expect him to pay for more things, and as soon as he's married his life will suddenly be filled with status symbols. When they divorce, women will still require resources to be given to them by their ex-husband, fulfilling his role as he did in the marriage. And when women are single they're frequently broke, because they have no one to spend money on them so they spend money on themselves. I've never really heard guys complain openly about another guy's lifestyle, but almost every woman I know will complain about how a guy lives once they know them for a certain amount of time.

Long story short, it's an entertaining show. Check it out and see if you agree.

Status
    Liked
    I love this show and learned some good pointers on how to save money. One episode that stuck had this cute Asian girl that lived in her apartment which was fully furnished for free by the local landfill. For food, she would go dumpster diving and pick out all the expired foods that are still in the package that restaurants have to throw out. One part, she invited some of her yuppie friends over to try some of her gourmet dumpster food, which looked very appetizing, but she never bothered to tell them where it came from only after they finished eating. Remember they started gagging and threw it all up. I LOL'd.

Status
    Liked
    The title is a bit prejudicial, why not call it "Frugal Living" or "Life on a dollar a day" or something. Cheapskate implies miserliness. Living without all the extra consumption must be demonized.

Status
    Liked
    Yup, I've watched a few episodes on youtube. Tried finding more episodes online, but I only found a few. If you know a source to watch these online or download them, I would like it.

I don't think I would go to the extremes some of these people go, like dumpster diving for food or re-using dental floss. But there is quite a bit of stuff that can be reused or recycled. Wooden furniture, used clothes, leftovers from a meal that you couldn't finish, etc.

How is it disgusting to have leftovers? I'll never understand this. Most of the time it tastes almost as good as when it's fresh, and it only has your "cooties" on it. Maybe it's because I grew up in a struggling family of 6, but I was raised to eat everything and to avoid wasting as much as possible.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    I love this show and learned some good pointers on how to save money. One episode that stuck had this cute Asian girl that lived in her apartment which was fully furnished for free by the local landfill. For food, she would go dumpster diving and pick out all the expired foods that are still in the package that restaurants have to throw out. One part, she invited some of her yuppie friends over to try some of her gourmet dumpster food, which looked very appetizing, but she never bothered to tell them where it came from only after they finished eating. Remember they started gagging and threw it all up. I LOL'd.
    This was an amazing episode, 1) Because I live in NYC like her and tried picking up pointers, and 2) Because the **** friend at the dinner party was so enraging. I don't know if I'd trust NYC dumpsters, but I know there have to be tons of good spots for dumpster diving. I found out that many clothing stores also throw out unsold clothing, although they're usually destroyed in some part by the staff, like cutting a sleeve off or putting a rip in some jeans so no one will want them or steal them and try returning them. But if you want to check out their dumpsters, you could start a new fashion trend of one-armed shirts. Even better is they're free, so you could potentially get some clothes from a high-end designer for absolutely free, and if you have some tailor skills you could probably fix up the intentional damage to the garment and wear it as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaraith View Post
    Yup, I've watched a few episodes on youtube. Tried finding more episodes online, but I only found a few. If you know a source to watch these online or download them, I would like it.

I don't think I would go to the extremes some of these people go, like dumpster diving for food or re-using dental floss. But there is quite a bit of stuff that can be reused or recycled. Wooden furniture, used clothes, leftovers from a meal that you couldn't finish, etc.

How is it disgusting to have leftovers? I'll never understand this. Most of the time it tastes almost as good as when it's fresh, and it only has your "cooties" on it. Maybe it's because I grew up in a struggling family of 6, but I was raised to eat everything and to avoid wasting as much as possible.
    The first season is on Netflix, and for other episodes I stream them off a site like 1Channel or Primewire.

I never really valued leftovers until college, when I had to feed myself and pay for my own groceries. I realized that so much money was going to waste when I threw out my food, so I got my ass into gear and began saving food. Even when I'm visiting family and don't have to worry about the cost of the groceries I'll either get smaller portions that I know I can eat, or just sit there until everything's gone. Recently my mom has also been sending me home with leftovers every time I visit her. My mom makes a ton of food every time she cooks and she'll eat leftovers, but my sister refuses to eat anything besides fresh food, requiring either her or my mom to cook an entirely new meal when there's a few meals' worth of food in the fridge that's only a day old. Since no one eats it and I don't want to see it go to waste, I volunteer to take it (Last time I was home I was able to eat for over a week on the leftovers she gave me). When I lived with my mom after college I was made to go food shopping and pay for it in lieu of rent. When my sister was home from college or after she dropped out of college the food bill would double, and I would easily spend $200/week on groceries. After I moved out on my own I discovered I could last 2 weeks on about $60 of groceries, sometimes less. My mom's house is in foreclosure now, but I guarantee she'd have been able to afford it had she cut some corners around things like groceries and not buying clothes and shoes all the time. Meanwhile my dad is very frugal and fiscally responsible, but my mom thinks he's just a cheap bastard. Look who's losing their house and tell me who's the smart one.

Status
    Liked
    I love this show.

I always laugh when they talk about being EXTREME Cheapskates, but yet most of them have kids.

EXTREME Cheapskates DON"T HAVE KIDS!!!!

THAT IS YOUR BIGGEST EXPENSE!!! And in normal situations (if she isn't an extreme cheapskate) SO IS A WIFE!!!!

You can save ~80% automatically by not marrying or having kids!

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ng85 View Post
    The first season is on Netflix, and for other episodes I stream them off a site like 1Channel or Primewire.

I never really valued leftovers until college, when I had to feed myself and pay for my own groceries. I realized that so much money was going to waste when I threw out my food, so I got my ass into gear and began saving food. Even when I'm visiting family and don't have to worry about the cost of the groceries I'll either get smaller portions that I know I can eat, or just sit there until everything's gone. Recently my mom has also been sending me home with leftovers every time I visit her. My mom makes a ton of food every time she cooks and she'll eat leftovers, but my sister refuses to eat anything besides fresh food, requiring either her or my mom to cook an entirely new meal when there's a few meals' worth of food in the fridge that's only a day old. Since no one eats it and I don't want to see it go to waste, I volunteer to take it (Last time I was home I was able to eat for over a week on the leftovers she gave me). When I lived with my mom after college I was made to go food shopping and pay for it in lieu of rent. When my sister was home from college or after she dropped out of college the food bill would double, and I would easily spend $200/week on groceries. After I moved out on my own I discovered I could last 2 weeks on about $60 of groceries, sometimes less. My mom's house is in foreclosure now, but I guarantee she'd have been able to afford it had she cut some corners around things like groceries and not buying clothes and shoes all the time. Meanwhile my dad is very frugal and fiscally responsible, but my mom thinks he's just a cheap bastard. Look who's losing their house and tell me who's the smart one.
    My family only takes on their plates what we can eat, and eat everything we take. My parents make extra on purpose so we can go home and have another meal or 2 each with whatever they made, if possible.

I'll eat pretty much anything for leftovers, as long as it still smells good and doesn't have stuff growing on it. Eating leftovers is a great way to make money stretch farther and it also saves on having to cook every day (power, time).

I'm spending probably $50 a week on groceries at the moment, including meat and cheese. I'm sure I could spend less if I wanted to, but I do like my good food (with plenty of leftovers).

Status
    Liked
    I have never see the show because I don't have cable but one of these days Ill try to watch it at someone's house or the Internet. God I love the internet.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    I was going to post "Har har! Saw the title and thought it was a reality show!"

Turns out it is a ****ing reality show. There is no depth to which they will not sink, if it means not paying writers.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Just checked out this show on your recommendation. A classic example of how women think is displayed in S01E02. This effeminate guy (he teaches Zumba for Christ's sake) goes on a date with a reasonably attractive woman. He chooses an inexpensive BBQ place, and orders a single rib off the kids menu. He proceeds to share the entree she orders and then takes home all the utensils, plates, napkins, BBQ sauce, and to-go sodas. His conversation centered around how he only flushes the toilet once a week and other ridiculous money saving things.

Of course, she's initially put off by his cheap behavior. Her 'gina starts to tingle as the date progresses, however, as she realizes that this guy does not give a **** about impressing her. He has principles, and he sticks to them, regardless of what she thinks. At least on camera, she admits to wanting to see him again.

So this guy has a chance at a second date, and it probably cost him about $10 in total. Meanwhile, Joe Beta took her out to a fancy dinner and a musical performance dropping $200 to never hear from her again. Because she hates herself, she wonders why any guy would spend that kind of money to impress her...he must be a loser. At least cheapskate guy has balls.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ng85 View Post
    This was an amazing episode, 1) Because I live in NYC like her and tried picking up pointers, and 2) Because the **** friend at the dinner party was so enraging. I don't know if I'd trust NYC dumpsters, but I know there have to be tons of good spots for dumpster diving. I found out that many clothing stores also throw out unsold clothing, although they're usually destroyed in some part by the staff, like cutting a sleeve off or putting a rip in some jeans so no one will want them or steal them and try returning them. But if you want to check out their dumpsters, you could start a new fashion trend of one-armed shirts. Even better is they're free, so you could potentially get some clothes from a high-end designer for absolutely free, and if you have some tailor skills you could probably fix up the intentional damage to the garment and wear it as good as new.

You see how you thought wasting food was simply normal before actually having to part with your own money that you were then just throwing away? Well that is how I look at everyone who judges me or anyone else in any way with ignorance. They have lived a pampered existence and have not experienced real life or lived independently. Take nG85's example of the squeamish women for example.

Another single mother I know does this. After her daddy stopped housing her she was still throwing money away in food. Baby daddy was paying the check in CS, of course, not her.

Status
    Liked
    Three biggest expenses to avoid -- car, house, schooling. By not going all in on either of these things, you earn a LOT of money.

That's not to say avoiding your own transportation, property, or an education. Just be reasonable about what you want, what benefits you, and what is merely a useless status display.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Nova View Post
    You see how you thought wasting food was simply normal before actually having to part with your own money that you were then just throwing away? Well that is how I look at everyone who judges me or anyone else in any way with ignorance. They have lived a pampered existence and have not experienced real life or lived independently. Take nG85's example of the squeamish women for example.

Another single mother I know does this. After her daddy stopped housing her she was still throwing money away in food. Baby daddy was paying the check in CS, of course, not her.
    It's impossible to truly value something until you have to spend your own money on it. Most guys eventually learn to be more frugal as time goes on, but most women continue to have some kind of safety net throughout their lives, be it from a parent or a husband. And if they fall on hard times there are usually charities or government programs like WIC to help bail them out. I might start another thread expanding on this, how these safety nets are just one more way women don't have to learn about accountability.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by AbelMagwitch View Post
    This is true. 90% of what you're spending on these big three is going beyond the utility of what you really need, and displaying luxury or status for other people to see. Ask yourself for a moment just who you're showing off for 90% of the time. Almost guarantee you, it's somebody female.

This is why adopting a MGTOW mindset is so important to achieving financial independence. Live just to live. Don't live for ****.
    Exactly, whoever has the biggest, shiniest object wins her affection......Sort of like dangling a pair of keys in front of a baby.

What's hilarious is that most of the time a guy like the one b-nasty mentioned will be the one to get the women, since he's not giving up his power trying to impress her. If you act like you're the prize then they'll treat you as such - He lives by his own standards and she'll have to deal with it. As for the guys who spend money to get status symbols? They'll probably be the guys on those gold digger dating websites who, despite how much they brandish their wealth, will probably still go home with their dicks in their hands.