Thread: Watch out for the "gung ho" types

Banned

Status
    Liked

Exclamation Watch out for the "gung ho" types

As I sit here typing away on my peaceful Sunday morning, I thought back to a situation I was in years ago....

I was a young man, just beginning to see the dreadful politics of the working world. I was very green, yet my bullshit detector was stronger than those of workers who were in management positions, and/or people who were twice my age or even older.

As I started this particular job, "Ted" stood out immediately. His ambitious nature was what gave him away. While the dress code was working casual, this prick would show for work wearing a tie and suit coat. Every day. He made his presence felt. Upper management loved this guy(he was stuck in the middle). I always saw him as a sleazy politician: I would catch him saying what one person wanted to hear, and then tell another employee the complete opposite.

Ted was obviously angling for more power, supposedly because he loved the company so much. Whenever an idea was presented, Ted was there to remind us of how good this was for business, and how we were part of a team. If I didn't know better, I would have to believe that he ran the company.

Until Ted left. Without notice. He got a better offer somewhere else, and off he went.

I'll never forget the sheer panic that ran through the office. Fuck, the reaction was so over-the-top it was actually funny. I sat back and soaked it up, and even poured fuel on the fire for my amusement. We had a real fucker who was a "big shot" in the company, who liked to talk down to us. I went out of my way to rub salt in the wounds.

"Mitch...is it true about Ted?"

"Yes". (this asshole was literally biting his lip as he spoke to me).

"No notice, Mitch? I'd at least like to say goodbye...."

"Ted is NOT welcome in this office. If he dares to show up....."

Mitch then ranted a bit, and I said "OK", and went back to my desk.

The panic in the office turned into outrage, which turned into a quiet sense of defeat. Life went on, but I don't believe some of those tools ever got over the feeling of betrayal caused by their old "pal" Ted.

It was one of those life lessons that always stayed with me. The "gung ho" types, those "rah-rah", go-get 'em pricks really don't care about the company, their country, their cause, whatever the object of their "affection" is: they only care about what the object can do for them. They promote their cause with passion, because ultimately there are getting some disproportional benefit from their cause, that's why they love it.

Ted "cared" about the same company that was employing us, because he felt he had a better future there. Once he got a better offer, his loyalty and love for the company went out the window.

Ever since the "Ted scandal", I always preferred working with others who came into work, did their fucking job, and went home. EVERY time I ran into another Ted, I had a bad experience.

Keep your guard up with those types. Their devotion will disappear at the mere sight of the bigger and better deal.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    We have one too. His name is Ken. You can tell that everything he says is corporate bullshit. If he were to be offered another job, he'd bail in a second. Meanwhile, he's the company man. Very annoying to have as a co-worker. It's surprising that he can see anything from the high horse he's on. We just try to avoid him and any trouble he brings his way.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Honestly, it sounds similar to me. I have the mercenary mindset. I do like to voice my opinion from time to time and get involved on projects so I have more experience. But I'm not there for this huge corporation. Why should I be? I could be giving my all for them but the minute the earnings suck my coworkers and I could be laid off. I'm a mercenary and I do what's best for me like the company does what's best for shareholders. If this was the old days where well paying jobs were easy to come by and sticking with the company was the best option I would do it. If laying back, doing my work and leaving at 5 was all it took to get promoted I would do that. But this is a different age where corporations offshore everything humanly possible and don't give two fucks about hiring someone outside of your firm to get the job you applied for, no matter how long you've been there.

That being said, I don't talk down to coworkers and I sure as hell don't try to go above and beyond when it comes to the dress code .

Status
    Liked
    Sounds like the Gervais Principle of social organization at work; people organized into a pyramid with sociopaths on top (Ted), the clueless in the middle (Mitch), and the losers on the bottom (anyone intelligent but hampered by morality).

•The Sociopaths enter and exit organizations at will, at any stage, and do whatever it takes to come out on top. The contribute creativity in early stages of a organization’s life, neurotic leadership in the middle stages, and cold-bloodedness in the later stages, where they drive decisions like mergers, acquisitions and layoffs that others are too scared or too compassionate to drive.
    •The Losers like to feel good about their lives. . . . They do have a loyalty to individual people, and a commitment to finding fulfillment through work when they can, and coasting when they cannot.
    •The Clueless are the ones who lack the competence to circulate freely through the economy (unlike Sociopaths and Losers), and build up a perverse sense of loyalty to the firm, even when events make it abundantly clear that the firm is not loyal to them. To sustain themselves, they must be capable of fashioning elaborate delusions based on idealized notions of the firm — the perfectly pathological entities we mentioned.

The Gervais principle:

•Sociopaths, in their own best interests, knowingly promote over-performing losers into middle-management, groom under-performing losers into sociopaths, and leave the average bare-minimum-effort losers to fend for themselves.
    Sociopath World: The Gervais Principle (part 1)

Status
    Liked
    Unless you are the owner of the company, you should be like Ted. That is, always be looking for the better job, better position, better benefits. Douchebaggery aside, he understood that companies are not there for their employees, but for the bottom line, ultimately stockholders and/or owners. If it in their economic interest, they will fire you or lay you off... straight up. So get what you can, when you can. As someone mentioned, the company is a tax break away from relocation, and you the unemployment line. You are not entitled to your job, especially in this day and age. Always gain the experience, always build your CV/resume, you never know when you might need it.

Veteran Member

Status
    Liked
    Along those same lines, the biggest talkers in any particular company are almost always the biggest bullshitters who seldom produce and walk the walk. Thank God I no longer work with any Teds or Kens.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Don't get me wrong, fellas: I'm in it for myself 100% now, too. At the time of knowing "Ted", I correctly identified his bullshit behavior, but my mistake was thinking that was unique to Ted. After meeting more assholes like him, I realized he wasn't unique at all.

With separates me from him was and is not the mercenary mindset, but the rhetoric. Guys like Ted were always the first to preach about teamwork and loyalty, going so far to actually describe all of us workers as a "family". I would never do that. That's why so many people were hurt when he left without notice: he fucked his "family" over at the drop off a hat. They always knew what they were getting with me.

Again, that's why I always preferred working with the quiet ones who did their job and went home when it was time to go home.

Those aggressive, go-getter types will fuck you and everyone in their vicinity. It's just a matter of time.

Status
    Liked
    Can't blame him, in all honesty.

If you aren't going any higher with one company, might as well switch. I mean, a little role reversal, and you might see why this is good;

If a company can get cheaper employees elsewhere, would they switch? OF COURSE THEY WOULD.

Companies are only loyal to money, and in this day and age, I'd suggest all people do the same, as a survival mechanism.

While I hate sociopaths (clearly, what he is; social climbing fuckwits), I do have a lot to thank them for, believe it or not. I use them for my own gain. I have low emotional intelligence - I was practically autistic (though, never diagnosed), and was crippled with social anxiety, whereas my sociopath brother managed to fair very well in social situations. I researched sociopaths, found that they mimic emotions, and such.

That is how I improved my social skills - the very same way. Mimicry. I easily pass myself off as normal.

As horrible people they are, morally speaking, they are very useful, and a great amount of people can learn alot from them, just keep a distance from them.