Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to quit college, mother goes rabid

Status
    Liked

Want to quit college, mother goes rabid

I've been in an community college for five years now, and I just can't take it anymore. For years I've been stuck with heavily liberal professor after liberal professor, who would instead of teaching the students, would prattled on about how white men have screwed up the world, and how wonderful feminism is, or how much they idolized Obama through their lectures. And the worst part is they try to be subtle about it most of the time. And I don't know if it's just my major, but using internet has made the professors really redundant.

Though I'm close to graduating, and I need an internship for graduating, I've decided that I want to quit and go to an continuing education class that will teach me about wielding and become a wielder. Thought I told my mother that I want to learn a trade as a wielder and was OK with it, I didn't tell her about wanting to quit college. But after sending time with my father who is a retired plumber this Christmas. He told me about how much freedom there is in having a trade and agreed with me that college is pointless and just there to suck young people dry. And because of him, I had the balls this evening to tell my mother that I want to quit college, and instead learn how to drive until it became time for my wielding classes to begin.

But then I was quickly reminded as to why I was afraid of telling her. She when berserk, screaming so loud, I wonder as to how no one called the police as we lived in an apartment. The more I tried to reason with her, the more louder she got. This was a sixty-four year old woman have a tantrum, about how much she paid into college and yelled so adamantly about how any college degree will give you a better shot for a job than without one. I countered with, "So you plan to spend more money on something that obviously isn't working." and "Your money could be going to help get actual employable skills, rather than working like a slave as an intern." and "Wielders don't need to have a college degree, just a certification."

But she kept going on about how much of a victim she was having push me into college and then for me to want to drop out. And for some reason she said I was going to college for her pleasure. She tried to retract that sentence, when I pointed it out, but I think might be some sort of red flag.

What is your advice guys?
    Last edited by Aksil; 11-01-14 at 02:10 AM.

Status
    Liked
    College is mostly bullshit. Save for a few disciplines, most people should be apprenticing in their chosen fields and learning what really needs to be learned and none of the nonsense. That being said, the world is the way it is and if you are so close to getting your degree, by all means, get it. A degree will open doors to jobs that often have no relation to it and if you suffer a future injury that precludes you from continuing a career in the trades, then what? If you don't get the degree now but decide to finish it later, you will have to retake many courses deemed "outdated," or whatever. Get the degree if your so close, then go for the trade.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    What they're most afraid of is a bird that won't leave the nest - the secret fear of every parent is that they will never get rid of their children (of course most won't come out and say it like this).

I dropped out of college after my first year. I got exactly the same speeches and hysterics. After working a few odd jobs locally, I bought a one-way ticket to the other side of the world, where I worked at some more odd jobs. After a few years, I went home again. Nobody even mentioned college - either my dropping out, nor my going back. Enough time had passed for all that nonsense to have evaporated.

Sometimes you just have to patiently let certain moments of life pass.

Status
    Liked
    I'm in a similar situation with my mother. I pretty much cut contact with her (although we live in the same household) once i realized how childish her way of thinking is. Listen to your own heart, fuck your mother. Are your parents divorced? If so, i would suggest moving in with your father if he lets you. Otherwise, if her temper gets from bad to worse, seriously think about moving on your own. Work and study your trade until you're ready to take on the job. Don't listen to her threats and words: my own mother threatened to call the police or kick me out of the house for my "rebellious and arrogant" behavior but nothing yet happened. If you DO get kicked out for some reason, you got your dad to back you up, don't you?

Also, if you value your relationship with your mother, tell yourself: she's a woman. Her emotions are fleeting and irrational. Whatever happens, you can make her change her mind about you easily. If she's stubborn instead, who the hell cares dude. It's a twat like any other twat.

Don't let your mother be an impediment to your development and wellbeing. Don't sacrifice your independence for her. I once tried to make concessions and give ground on rational arguments, waste of time. She doesn't know what's good for you, whatever she may say about the subject. So go ahead and go your own way.

Elam wants to be me

Status
    Liked
    Sorry to break the bad news guys, but fathers can be the same too. I remember telling my old man I wanted to quit college and he went fucking bat shit crazy! Told me I'd be on the streets if I quit...so I stayed on and failed the course.

The End.
    Support MGTOW Forums, go GOLD

Status
    Liked
    There's a lot to factor in here. Is there a lot of work close to where you are for welders? Have you welded before? Do you know the local groups that would employ you? I'm an electrician and from what I can tell they are making things tighter and tighter on us. Fees like no tomorrow and every boss just wants you to show up with your running shoes on. I now partly regret not getting a better education and being able to make money in an air conditioned office as opposed to having to contort my body, climb ladders constantly and work in a field where you "sign off" all your liability everyday so that the companies can't be sued by you - no matter what. If I could go back I would have stayed in school longer or studied for a more white-collar career. It depends on you though. Some guys don't mind it at all.

I would finish up the degree or at least the year and then if you want you can try welding. Even for a month or two to see if you really want to do that. There's a lot of danger in welding, a lot of fumes that wreck your lungs over time- just saying. Being red pill has really opened my eyes up to my own disposability. Many people make what I make in a year just sitting at a fucking desk pushing paper in air conditioned offices ... why did I set myself up to wear my body down in bad conditions? Really you gotta go with your gut but I would try welding for a few months before deciding upon it as a career.

Status
    Liked
    What Drew36 said and a bit more.

There is way more to welding than just earning a certification. You need training and natural ability as well to slowly become a first rate welder.

Entry level welders in my area earn 12-13 dollars an hour. That's in a assembly line setting welding the same type thing all day long over and over. Weld shops can be horrible hot and stink like hell too.

There are also some very high paid guys who had to earn there way to those jobs. Being a first class welder is more an art than science. If your not the best of the best, no big bucks for you.

Do your research, talk to welders, and look and think before you leap.

MGTOW Master

Status
    Liked
    Aksil, if you were at the beginning of your higher education journey, I'd be inclined to support your vocational choice. But you have already invested years of time and thousands of dollars towards a goal that can still be a good "Plan B.". Since you are so close to being finished, I say that quitting now is senseless. Bite the bullet, finish your degree and then go to welding school.

I picked up welding on my own and love doing it (but I'm not confident enough in my skill to do it professionally). I have thought about going to school for it just to have a trade skill if the government finally collapses the white collar economy.
    Last edited by GT66; 11-01-14 at 03:20 AM.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    When I told my dad I was dropping out to begin an telecommunications apprenticeship, it almost broke his heart. He didn't go berzerk or anything, he just looked truly disappointed, which was worse. He got over it because I had my mind made up and since then I've been able to explain and demonstrate why I'm going the route I'm going. He was ready to lay out vaults full of cash to get me through college, any college, but I think he understands now that I'll be happier, saner, and probably by all means wealthier by going into a trade.

I'm right with you about the insanity of college, Aksil. It's an avalanche of bullshit, a racket, and a place for failed idealists to practice academic sadism.

Advice: look at two or three different ways of becoming a welder, and then go down to a welding shop and talk to some of the guys there about what you need to do to get started. You might find a better way of getting from here to there, and at the very least you'll get some keen insights into welding if you haven't already.

I looked into doing welding at the community college I was at and it was a series of ten or more classes that would take years to complete - that's a load of shit. It probably boils down to some kind of state licensing procedure which does not require going through a community college.

Godspeed, brother!

Status
    Liked
    I am in Autobody, and know how to MIG/TIG/OXY/ARC weld. Learned it in 6 weeks, and over 6 months to a year you can get to a point where you can pretty much weld anything, unless you're doing precision TIG welding.

As long as you put in the time to figure out the tricks to welding different metals and metal thicknesses, it's not too difficult.. just a few learning curves. There really isn't too much danger involved, as long as you wear proper protection (and aren't hanging off bridges). Minor burns or occasional flashburns to your eyes are the most common.

I would check out some welding schools, and get a MIG welder and start practicing. You can find plenty of helpful information online for getting started. Here's a channel I checked out when I started, he also has his own website -

weldingtipsandtricks - YouTube

As far as quitting school, it really depends on what industry/career it is, how much you put into it, how much you have left, and whether or not you could ever use it.. but welding is a good career if you don't mind the occasional tedious/monotonous work.

Status
    Liked
    If you are close to graduating, finish it off. You spent 5 years and $xx to get close to finishing your AA (associates of arts). If you are close, wrap it up. You can then work on the welding certification. Even if you don't plan to use the AA, having it will be beneficial in the future.

You can quit now and have 0% of an AA. Or you can do the last 10% of the work and have 100% of an AA.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Graduate to keep your options open. You can always do welding afterwards or anything else.

I infer that you are young. Life's a long haul and you are likely to have to or want to change occupations/ activities in future.

Most changes will be facilitated by the official recognition of "intelligence" and the ability to defer gratification that a tertiary education is widely deemed to demonstrate.

It's a fact that you get more respect in certain circles if you have a degree or similar qualification whether it's merited or not.

Elam wants to be me

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by GT66 View Post
    I picked up welding on my own and love doing it (but I'm not confident enough in my skill to do it professionally). I have thought about going to school for it just to have a trade skill if the government finally collapses the white collar economy.
    You need to be doing something everyday for it to become a skill, like in a workshop or production line. School doesn't teach that hence why trades are usually taught 4-5 days a week on the shop floor with 1 day per week in school.
    Last edited by Nacho Vidal; 11-01-14 at 10:03 AM.
    Support MGTOW Forums, go GOLD

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    I agree with the comments here, stick with it mate... college can be a bunch of bullshit but its better to have that qualification than not and as you're so close to the end I would not advise quitting it now because it will be another option you've got in the future.

You never know what might happen in the future. By all means, get yourself qualified as a welder if you want, once you're done but you never know what having the skills you're getting now at college might do for you, even if you do go into a trade... you never know, being able to offer qualifications in what you are doing now might just give you the extra push to get you where you want to go... because its not just always about the core of the position that gets you a job, "he's a welder who can also do... excellent."

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksil View Post
    What is your advice guys?
    If you're not footing the bill, you're in no position to bitch when someone else is wasting their money on you.

Volunteer to pay them back for the wasted funds, and go your own way from there. Either that or suck it up, finish up the degree that you are not paying for, and then pursue whatever the hell you want on your own dime.

'Squaring' yourself financially with the folks, whether that comes through delivering on all the money they spent on you by graduating, -or- paying them back over time for the wasted funds, is the key here if you want to avoid any lingering resentment from your parents.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Brother, whatever you decide (and I would counsel finishing college before thinking about trades - having more feathers in your cap is no bad thing), one thing is for certain...It's time to:
    Name:  gtfo.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  3.7 KB

Get your independence, learn to stand on your own two feet away from 'mommy dearest' - you'll be a better man for it.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Even if you don't plan to use the AA, having it will be beneficial in the future.
    Having even that minor degree sets you apart from the crowd with possibly a slot in management. If you're "this close" and over the hump then stick it out. That "worthless POS degree" may mean nothing to you right now, but will catch the eye of potential employers, who may mentor and fund a BS/BA in grooming you for mgmt.

Keep your options open.
    Last edited by toadman; 11-01-14 at 10:26 PM.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Ditto all the peoples saying stick it out. I have an AS degree for a field I'll never use: Criminal Justice. Yeah, not going to be a fucking white knight in blue.

But I also got 90 units (took 22-24 units a semester because FUCK SLEEP!) so I can get a BA or BS in something related. My degree ties in to psych, and there is a hard science portion of psych which I can study, physiological psychology, that isn't all that froo froo feelings bullshit.

Point is, I'd be a long way off if I had said fuck it and quit when I realized that being a cop would be even more dicked up than being in the Army, but as it is now, I can take from 30 to 50 units and complete a BS in physiological psych now.

Plus I get to put AS Administration of Justice on my resume, which kind of makes me feel like Judge Dredd (Stallone... not fuck nuts in the remake).

Status
    Liked
    I know its a bunch of bullshit, but just finish it up. Either that, or make a deal with your parents to pay them back the money they spent on you. I was in the same situation as you a few years ago, and decided to finish when I realized that the time I would have to spend to finish up my degree was worth less than the thousands of dollars I would have to earn to pay my parents back. Yes college is a huge money pit, and I hate how so many young people are being pushed into it, especially when they have no idea what they want to do. But if you are anywhere close to finishing, you should stick it out. Who knows, your internship could lead to a good job, or having that degree might end up getting you a job that you really want in the future. It will give you more options anyway.

As for welding, what everyone else said. Do a lot of research and make sure that it is something that you really want to do before you invest a significant amount of time and money into it. (Or else how would it be any different than your 5 years at college?) Also, if welding does turn out to be something you want to do, make sure you have a career plan for after you get your certification. Like True Grit mentioned, a lot of welding jobs suck and have shit pay. Of course this is true of pretty much every field. Whatever you might want to do, talk with people already doing it so that you know what you are getting into. That is the best advice I have.

Status
    Liked
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to try and finish up this degree. I wanted to quit because I felt that I was getting no where in college, but it doesn't make sense to have spend all this time on it, only to give up when so close to finishing.

As for wielding, I'm going PM some of you who had mention having some experience on it.