Thread: Careers: Switching fields-Business to 'x'?(minimal education or experience required)

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked

Careers: Switching fields-Business to 'x'?(minimal education or experience required)

I keep going back and forth on this, but I'm quickly approaching a point (in the next 1-2 years) where I need to go ahead and shit or get off the pot. In a nutshell...I have two main options: 1. Put myself...kicking and screaming...through a cookie cutter business program for a masters degree, or 2. Look at doing something else. I have until 2017 to use the rest of my MGIB entitlement, so that is the reason for the imposed deadline (will need to start a program in the next year or so to get the full entitlement).

I have worked in .gov/.mil related fields for 12 years. Though that's been a good thing for me (financially), I'd like to do something different.

Other than jobs that have a high risk of injury and death (i.e. Bearing Sea fishing boats)...is there such a thing as a job/career that pays well and that will take someone off the street that is educated, has good work and life experience, and is a trainable asset? I ask because I would like to try something that is not an office job, but I'm not quite sure where to begin. Thanks.

Status
    Liked
    Maybe driving around with equipment is something for you:

Surveying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know about the anglosphere but in GER it's one of the best paid jobs also on the non-degree level.

Or maybe you feel like teaching something outdoors, something you do truly like. Example: surfing.

Top 10 Surf Schools -- National Geographic

You could join an existing academy, I can imageine that some very niche thing somewhere is looking for more personell or somebody who will tkaeover the job later on. For example very special heli flight missions..
    Advanced Helicopter Training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to work in private security. This can involve martial arts, gunning, driving around a lot, nightshifts, walkie-talkies and other nice tech, mostly male co-workers. Lot's of licences etc needed, so there is a hurdle that keeps a somewhat invisible line between the shops that do "nightlife" security, if you know what I mean, and those that do more exciting stuff like nuclear plants facilities etc

Repairing combine-harvesters? I don't know man.... ... maybe some more specifics..

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbagumpshrimp View Post
    ...is there such a thing as a job/career that pays well and that will take someone off the street that is educated, has good work and life experience, and is a trainable asset? I ask because I would like to try something that is not an office job, but I'm not quite sure where to begin. Thanks.
    Let me know too, brother!

There are plenty of jobs/careers that pay well (and are not life-or-limb threatening) but, from my experience, they require either: specialized training beforehand from an educational institution; relevant gubbmint permissions to practice said field; prior experience gained from a related field. Anything STEM-C or related springs to mind.

If you can overcome those hurdles AND persuade the hiring person that you have the qualities they seek - well...just avoid having anything to do with HR cunts is all I can say.

Status
    Liked
    Target apparently hires into assistant management positions if you have a Bachelor's in anything. if I recall, they get paid around 50k?

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherubino View Post

Surveying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know about the anglosphere but in GER it's one of the best paid jobs also on the non-degree level.

Or maybe you feel like teaching something outdoors, something you do truly like. Example: surfing.

Top 10 Surf Schools -- National Geographic

You could join an existing academy, I can imageine that some very niche thing somewhere is looking for more personell or somebody who will tkaeover the job later on. For example very special heli flight missions..
    Advanced Helicopter Training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to work in private security. This can involve martial arts, gunning, driving around a lot, nightshifts, walkie-talkies and other nice tech, mostly male co-workers. Lot's of licences etc needed, so there is a hurdle that keeps a somewhat invisible line between the shops that do "nightlife" security, if you know what I mean, and those that do more exciting stuff like nuclear plants facilities etc

Repairing combine-harvesters? I don't know man.... ... maybe some more specifics..
    If I had no debt load, that's something that I could consider. My $.02...I'd like to hang onto the house for a few more years, sell it, and use the equity (I'll have some one way or another at that point) to pay everything else off. If I had no debt at the moment (well...other than the house)...I think that I'd rent the house out and go to graduate school (live on campus).

The thing that popped into my head recently is the oil field related jobs out in the Dakota's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Willers View Post
    Let me know too, brother!

There are plenty of jobs/careers that pay well (and are not life-or-limb threatening) but, from my experience, they require either: specialized training beforehand from an educational institution; relevant gubbmint permissions to practice said field; prior experience gained from a related field. Anything STEM-C or related springs to mind.

If you can overcome those hurdles AND persuade the hiring person that you have the qualities they seek - well...just avoid having anything to do with HR cunts is all I can say.
    Most of those (as far as I know) are going to require a specific degree and career track just to get noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by chrislow View Post
    Target apparently hires into assistant management positions if you have a Bachelor's in anything. if I recall, they get paid around 50k?
    I tried retail recently (for a part-time job). I don't think I'd want to do that full-time.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    BGS - that was my point...jobs/careers that pay well and allow for GYOW in a male-environment tend to be STEM-C - thus requiring a dedicated career track.

I would tend towards trades-related things to do with oil/energy...instrumentation tech. perhaps?

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Willers View Post
    BGS - that was my point...jobs/careers that pay well and allow for GYOW in a male-environment tend to be STEM-C - thus requiring a dedicated career track.

I would tend towards trades-related things to do with oil/energy...instrumentation tech. perhaps?
    Ah, gotcha. I'm slow today. Still detoxing from last nights whiskey binge, lol.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    I personally would NEVER consider the Dakota oil fields (and I didn't, when I was looking for a job). The cities are....bad. They rape everyone out here. Felonious assault is a serious concern, too.

Bubba, you have a PM.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by daves0311 View Post
    I personally would NEVER consider the Dakota oil fields (and I didn't, when I was looking for a job). The cities are....bad. They rape everyone out here. Felonious assault is a serious concern, too.

Bubba, you have a PM.
    Yeah...I've heard that you've got to pack heat around there and watch your back.

Replied to your PM.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Also the cost of living is disgusting.

The only people involved in the oil fields who are ACTUALLY making money (i.e., going to have something to show for their time) are the owners of the companies doing the work, and the people renting houses/apartments/places to put a camper to the roughnecks.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Ugh. I guess I'll pass on that then, lol.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Ugh. My out of pocket cost for my insurance just jacked up (I was paying nothing).

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Beware; pilots, especially rotor wing types are a dime a dozen. They struggle to make a living. That said, flying sure is fun.

I think we need more details from you; what would you like to do, inside or outside, urban or rural, isolated such as the North Slope of Alaska, or maybe an exotic foreign location? Use those educational benefits brother, even if for only enrichment.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by toolate View Post
    Beware; pilots, especially rotor wing types are a dime a dozen. They struggle to make a living. That said, flying sure is fun.

I think we need more details from you; what would you like to do, inside or outside, urban or rural, isolated such as the North Slope of Alaska, or maybe an exotic foreign location? Use those educational benefits brother, even if for only enrichment.
    Beats the shit out of me. I like hitting antique stores and flea markets. My pipe dream would be to do my own version of what's portrayed on that American Pickers show (minus the show...just traveling around buying shit). I could likely supplement my income doing that though (I've done a good job of buying low enough that I could easily flip most of my stuff that I've bought for a profit).

Banned

Status
    Liked
    There are jobs out there doing restorations on all things large and small in the Antique world. Ideal way to learn the value of items and then do a good flip. Find an old guy in the trade that wants to retire and maybe sell his business and a few "secrets?" Lots of specialties such as salvaging building fixtures and trim, windows, doors, etc. Probably best done in an urban area, but there are those that do it out in the country too.

MGTOW King

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by toolate View Post
    There are jobs out there doing restorations on all things large and small in the Antique world. Ideal way to learn the value of items and then do a good flip. Find an old guy in the trade that wants to retire and maybe sell his business and a few "secrets?" Lots of specialties such as salvaging building fixtures and trim, windows, doors, etc. Probably best done in an urban area, but there are those that do it out in the country too.
    Yup. I've got to get networking. I'd enjoy the hell out of something like that.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherubino View Post

Dude .. farming and everything around is the future.

Average age of farmers in japan: above 60
    Average age of farmers in USA: 56
    Average age of farmers in germany: 53

So .. how will backbreaking work that nobody wants to do but absolutely has to be done ... be done in the future by an aging population ?

Automation .. in modern farms there is more technology than in most other businesses of same market value .. but way, way less people doing the work.

Growing population, growing living-standards with demand for more dairy and meat (not all economies are effed up like our western ones..)

The western world consumes ap. 280kg of dairy products, other parts of the world only a 10th of that with governments pushing to raise numbers to lower health issues.

China alone needs 12 million dairy cows in the next two decades in addition.... and even there companies like Foxconn are replacing cheap labour by robots because they are even cheaper (1 million robots to 2020 ..)
    And opposed to high margin products like iPhones .. farming is a low margin business with even more demand for replacing workers by automation.

Too make one thing clear: These jobs will not turn you into a chick-magnet cause of their image.
    You will get dirty and smelly (at least at the start of your career in that field) and you will for the rest of your live if you do not level-up and stay stuck in assembly or first-level-service.

On the other hand, if you are good there is not much competition (for reasons see above) either because the smart and educated people will not enter that field because they think they deserve better, the dumb ones that can not find better than a dirty assembly job are no danger.

I have no great education, stumbled into that field by desperation, but with some brains and will to learn and work hard ... basically this is what my stinky blue-collar job turned into:

Even with the "crisis" my company grew at least 10% annually and things are looking good for the future.

Oh .. i still get my hands dirty and cow shit on my shoes if i have to or if everybody else failed ... to show my subordinates once in a while that i get my income and benefits for a damn good reason.

And my boss knows pretty well that there are always some offers on my table to work for other companies, domestic and abroad.

And i consider my job minor-TSHTF proof .. as long as there is electricity on farms there will be demand even if i have to fall back to 1st-level service (which i also could do as one-man-show on my own as i still maintain contact to my customers)

And where there is demand .. there is work .. and there is payment (and if it is a sack of bread-wheat)

It is called "primary sector" for a reason.

Of course, in a great economic crisis people will enter any field of work (even smelly ones) .. i am not afraid as my field requires a lot of knowledge and experience you only get on the job with a company seeing your potential and ready to invest at least 2-3 years into you until you start making money for them.

Which they will not do if the markets are dead and there is no need for more employees.

And our customers are a hardy, down to earth bunch, not much political correctness or feminism encountered so far.

And there are quite a lot females running farms for various reasons (spouse accident ...) ... which are way more real (and tough) ladies than any feminist with 2 diplomas and a lot of crap in their heads will ever be.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    ^This.

If I needed to start making a living again, it'd be the primary sector or small specialty retail. Relatively low start-up costs, lots of opportunities.

If you have a history of succeeding at what you take on, back yourself.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    Do you play an instrument or know about PA's etc?

You can travel a lot as a stagehand.

If you get known as reliable and competent you can go anywhere.

Status
    Liked
    I make $1500-$2000 per acre just on hay on my block. That's two cuts per year. With modern equipment hay isn't back breaking. Only hard bit is I do small bails so they are loaded by hand. But it's only a few days a year. So many people with ponies the stock feed places buy all of it in one go.
    With 50 acres of paddock it easily covers all my costs of living. But of course you need the land and machinery.

Another thing that can pay well if you can get a start is shower screen, windows blind, insect screen/shutter installation. Depending on company vehicle and tools may or may not be provided. It doesn't take much skill. If you can do it quickly the Pay is good.
    Last edited by EddieS; 09-12-13 at 02:24 AM.