Thread: Russian Kettlebell Challenge - anyone tried this?

Status
    Liked

Russian Kettlebell Challenge - anyone tried this?

So about a year ago, one of you guys turned me on to Convict Conditioning - I'm about 2/3 through it now and I'm really pleased, it actually works! Through that I've discovered Pavel Tsatsouline and read a little of his Naked Warrior book on bodyweight exercise, and it turns out he's also a strong proponent of working with kettlebells. Just wondering if any of you guys have experience of working with kettlebells vs dumbbells, and what your thoughts were.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    So about a year ago, one of you guys turned me on to Convict Conditioning - I'm about 2/3 through it now and I'm really pleased, it actually works! Through that I've discovered Pavel Tsatsouline and read a little of his Naked Warrior book on bodyweight exercise, and it turns out he's also a strong proponent of working with kettlebells. Just wondering if any of you guys have experience of working with kettlebells vs dumbbells, and what your thoughts were.
    I have experience with both. It depends on your goals I suppose but in general, I strongly recommend kettles.

What condition are you in and what are you going for? Are you training for any particular sport?

Status
    Liked
    Planning to become a real life Batman.

Or failing that, just generally improving all-round strength and conditioning.

I'm not a big guy, but I'm in pretty good shape, run with the dog for a couple of miles each day, daily routine of 15 minutes or so bodyweight stuff (push ups, leg raises, pull ups etc) and a proper mixed workout 2-3 times a week, an hour of bodyweight, free weight and krav maga moves. Got a 20lb dumb bell for the free weight stuff, bought myself a 10kg kettlebell to use with the RKC book.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    That's awesome keep up the good work , I hope to have the drive to do the same .

Status
    Liked
    It's actually not that tricky - the bodyweight stuff in Convict Conditioning is really good, and by taking the dog for a run rather than a walk in the middle of the day, I save about 15-20 minutes, which gives me time to run one set of each of the six moves he describes in the book. Go for it mate, you can do it

Status
    Liked
    It begins - got myself a beginners KB and Enter The Kettlebell by Pavel Tsatsouline.
    Yeah, this shit beats all the dumb bell stuff I've done before... I'll keep you posted :-)

Status
    Liked
    Kettlebells are excellent. But one caveat - make 100% SURE you are stretched and warmed up BEFORE you haul that thing out. They make it very easy to injure yourself if your muscles are cold. First-hand experience there.

Status
    Liked
    Check out his other books power to the people and beyond bodybuilding. Both reside on my desk. When I feel gains just wont happen Pavel makes them happen!

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by AbelMagwitch View Post
    I want to add some kettlebell exercises to my routine too. This looks good to me.

I've only played with them a few times, since I don't own any. This site recommends a one pood (35 lb) bell to start: Which kettlebells should a man start with? | StrongFirst That feels heavy to me, but whatevs.
    I got a 10kg and feel like a wuss, Pavel says I should be using a 16kg, but I'll work up to that! Just doing basic swings, and two exercises called the "Halo" and the "Get-Up" along with the stretches that he recommends

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by ounumen View Post
    Check out his other books power to the people and beyond bodybuilding. Both reside on my desk. When I feel gains just wont happen Pavel makes them happen!
    I've got to admit, he knows his stuff! Already seeing a payoff in the Convict Conditioning routines I've been running - I can now do uneven pullups properly, that wasn't the case a few weeks back!

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Kettlebells are great, so are dumbbells. Not too many kettlebell exercises I've seen that I can't do with a dumbbell, though modified, or the result of which may be modified as the weight is distributed differently.

One thing I love that a dumbbell just won't do for, however, is a sumo deadlift high pull/thruster while thumb hooking the handle (or you can flip it so your fingers grip the handle and the bell part is on the back of your wrists... probably better, but I don't have the skill to pull that off without bashing myself good) done with a 2 pood. I put it down and do a frog leap between each rep, and supersetted with man makers with a 30 pound medicine ball, you've got a workout that you can do for 10 minutes and blast every damn muscle you got except your fuckin tongue and dick. For that, I recommend capping it off with a 69 for a complete total body workout.

That exercise where you do the SDHP/thruster doesn't make too much sense in print, but if I can find a good example on youtubes I'll post it. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of doing it, I've just never seen anyone else do it. If you look up SDHPs, and then thrusters, you'll see what I'm talking about, re: putting them together. It's basically the same principle as a man maker, doing the balancing on the ball push up, followed by the weighted burpee/medicine ball jumping wall ball.

Status
    Liked
    Awesome, I'll check that stuff out :-)

Status
    Liked
    It's good to read that you were led to kettle bells by convict conditioning. I first learned about kettle bells through cross fit. Then once I got up to 40 kg swings and cleans, started training olympic weightlifting. The only advice I would offer is use competition kettle bells as they remain the same size regardless of weight. Also, stick with the basic six movements to keep things simple and avoid injury.
    Swing, Clean, Clean and Squat, Clean and Press, High Pull, and Snatch. And what GIT said, he is hilarious.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    And what GIT said, he is hilarious.
    I made a funny?

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious G.I.T. View Post
    I recommend capping it off with a 69 for a complete total body workout.
    Yeah I read something about a 69, and my first thought is this crazy motherfucker doing SDLHP's with a 69kg bell? Where do you even buy those? Then I reread it and can't stop laughing.