Thread: Bedding for a restful night's sleep

Status
    Liked

Bedding for a restful night's sleep

Yes, I mean sleep as in snooze, not pounding ass!

I have an ancient, well 23 years old, twin size mattress and box spring set. No question that it is shot, the mattress in particular as the springs obviously collapse when I lay on it. Over the past several months I've slept on the couch, but this isn't exactly a long term solution.

I cannot sleep flat on my back. I often sleep on my side and on the present mattress that often results in shoulder aches, numb arms/hands or, if I end up on my stomach, a back ache due to a lack of support in the center of the mattress. The couch cushions are much softer and I've not had the aches or numbness.

Years back I recall Select Comfort advertising on Rush Limbaugh's radio program, and while they're probably good, they are proud of them. I'm not broke, but I don't like throwing down money for a brand name unless the product is truly better than the rest. I also don't like throwing money away on a lark either.

I think water beds have become passe and I don't think that is the direction I wish to go anyway. An air matrress of the sort Select Comfort offers has its appeal and likely has it's competitors. I've never tried sleeping on one so this would truly be a shot in the dark, although SC offers a "100 night trial".

Is memory foam something I should consider? I've never tried it either.

I would also upgrade to a full size mattress and support since I have a head board available for that size I am currently not using. I only need to consider my comfort as I'm a solo sleeper. If it makes any difference, I'm 5' 11" and weigh 215 pounds on average.

Opinions and advice are welcome.

Status
    Liked
    I have heard of some issues with the select comfort mattresses. Several people have said that after the top cushioning wears out it feels like sleeping on an air mattress.

As to the memory foam, it is either latex or synthetic. Either of them can cause some people problems. If you are not one of the people that has an issue with synthetic/latex foam then they are quite comfortable. As a side sleeper try not to get anything too firm. Best bet is test them out by spending at least 5 to 10 minutes on your favored side on each mattress you are interested in.

Status
    Liked
    I use a memory foam topper on my mattress. Full size mattress, built my own frame.

The topper is a big help. I have no issue with it (as Merlin says), so it's just additional cushioning. Very comfortable, and it's a cheap addition - cost me less than $90 to get the topper. The mattress I got free from a friend; it wasn't brand new, but still had plenty of life. Works out great for me (and I'm not even a morning person).

I'm 34 and weigh 160, if that's any help.

Status
    Liked
    Go with a cot. All you need is two poles and some rope/netting.

Status
    Liked
    In a similar situation here. The simplest solution is best yet my back is twisted so it's becoming a necessity to have quality bedding. I like the air mattress idea, then topping that off with a feather-bed. I'm trying not to own any one thing over 30lbs.. At 6'1" my feet may hang off the end but after years of sleeping on the floor it's a step up. Had a full serta backsaver that was nice and firm but not too firm. Thanks, I believe you've helped me to decide. 2 twin air mattresses doubled up with a nice feather-bed on top.

MGTOW Skilled

Status
    Liked
    I have a Tempur-Pedic bed and love it. I sleep on my side as well and don't have any issues with it.

They cost a bit more than a normal memory foam mattress, but their prices are controlled by the manufacturer; the places you buy them from aren't supposed to raise/lower the prices. A lot of places will throw in extras to offset the cost. In my case I got 2 $150 pillows for free.

Status
    Liked
    I have a king size, expensive mattress that I got to keep as a consolation prize after my divorce. It has a memory foam pillow top and it is the best damn thing I have ever slept on. I love that mattress.

I also have the tempur pedic pillows- but not the curvy ones. These are the shape of a normal pillow. Yes, they are expensive too but to me they are worth it. Hard as a rock but once you get used to it you won't want to go back to a normal pillow.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    I cannot sleep flat on my back. I often sleep on my side and on the present mattress that often results in shoulder aches, numb arms/hands or, if I end up on my stomach, a back ache due to a lack of support in the center of the mattress. The couch cushions are much softer and I've not had the aches or numbness.
    Until you find a new mattress pillows may work for you as lumbar support. In the past I've resorted to a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood between box-spring and mattress to extend the life of it.

*Hint* If you also sleep on your side, prop a thicker pillow between your kneecaps to straighten your spine. Try it out.

Only on MGTOW can you find sleeping aids for men other than alcohol.
    Last edited by toadman; 24-12-13 at 03:48 PM.

Status
    Liked
    I've found just the opposite.
    The too soft mattresses caused the excessive curving of the spine in the horizontal position to begin with.
    Once I went to the firmest spring mattress I could find on a solid wood platform I could sleep on my back again.

The folks bought the firmest gel mattress they could find and quickly did not like it,now they have the firm spring mattress and are happy with it.

No box spring,solid wood platform.

I also did not like the heat buildup on any of the gel mattresses.
    I hear the select comfort is like sleeping on an air bed,not good,the plastic surface is weak,and causes one to sweat.

Not only that,the spring mattresses cost much less,my greatest fear is that they will not be made any longer,and I will not be able to find a replacement in the future.

Status
    Liked
    I was tempted to stop in at the local money grabber furniture store but then thought better of it. I've been getting by and I'll get by a bit longer as I do more research. This is one area I'm really ignorant on, yet it directly impacts about 1/3 of my life! Keep the good ideas coming, guys, I appreciate it.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    Memory foam zero gravity bed with a FIRM curved pillow that maintains the natural curvature of your neck is what you need. You'll spend more to be sure, but the motherfuckers have a 10 year total replacement warranty and 25 year pro-rated. Effective and efficient sleep will do more for your health than anything aside from perfect nutrition, and having a healthy spine is more important than most medical doctors even understand.

Veteran Member

Status
    Liked
    What a well timed thread.. I'm buying a new mattress soon.. I think i will go firm and try that pillow between my kneecaps idea.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by AbelMagwitch View Post
    Here's a link, with free shipping right to your door. Can recommend.

8'' Full Futon with Double Foam Core - Model 611 - Gold Bond
    Talk about variety and reasonable pricing. I see there are inner spring models as well. The only problem is what to choose! I did read that for side sleepers that a medium to medium-firm is recommended. I really don't want to deal with the furniture store snakes and be treated like a cupcake with hubby's open-ended credit card! I'm leaning toward a model with an inner spring rather than foam only. Tell me why this would be a bad idea.

Thanks for the mattress scam link. That was very interesting and useful.

Status
    Liked
    Back on New Years Day after poking around I ordered a foundation and mattress from Walmart. Advantage was that I could pick them up locally at nearly my convenience.

My first night was the 14th and the first in a number of months of trying to sleep on a mattress. It wasn't the best but I made it through and by the beginning of last week things had gotten much better. The combination is very comfortable and I have not wakened with any back or body pain. I am still training my brain to rest as it wants to be going around 4 AM thinking about various things I plan to do in the coming months. Last night was particularly nice as I crashed about 9:30 PM and woke around 6:15 this morning and then snoozed a bit until 6:30.

I'm pleased to be sleeping better again and not contorting my back on a lousy couch.

Banned

Status
    Liked
    I sleep my absolute best in a recliner. Second best is on a hard floor. Once or twice a week I sleep in a bed and I have to do that on my back (no pillow).

Pillows of any kind give me a bad headache, unless I lay on my side. I can tolerate that for about a half hour. I don't get pain, but can't get to sleep.

In the recliner I don't snore too bad. Otherwise it's like a running chainsaw.

I'm not sure any of this is helpful to you. When I was married, I always slept on the floor. Guess I didn't want that fat cunt in bed with me.