Thread: Healthy Dieting?

Status
    Liked

Healthy Dieting?

I'm currently testing an unusual diet I came up with, seeing if it works. Currently I skip breakfast, I eat 2 mid-sized apples, 1 banana and a protein shake for lunch, and for dinner I eat 2 cans of tuna, after I work out. I drink nothing but water. Gonna test it out for a week, see how it goes. What do you guys think, does this sound healthy?

Status
    Liked
    No it does not.

For one, never skimp breakfast. Your body needs nutrients to replenish itself after sleep's restorations. Eat some protein within an hour of waking up. Eggs, bacon, whatever.

What you've listed is a calorically restricted diet heavy on fruit - which is very bad for you, believe it or not. You will likely end up lethargic and mentally unfocused next week if you do this.

What you need is more vegetable fiber and more protein. Some additional fat would help too, especially if you work out.

Here, let me add to your daily plan:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, done any way you like, cooked in either butter or coconut oil
    Lunch: 1 banana, protein shake and a vegetable (carrots, salad or asparagus)
    After workout: 2 cans of tuna or a handful of jerky
    Dinner: Chicken cooked in olive or coconut oil, plus a cooked vegetable (broccoli, green beans)

Try that out, see how it works. Best of luck.

Status
    Liked
    Agreeing with the above poster. Fruit is natures Candy.

And candy is candy.

If you want to cut your calories or change up food times - tighten your eating window.

Take and Idea of your Current "Natural Eating window" and shrink it. 2 hours for maintenance, 4 hours for long term loss 6 hours for "he going to da beach in Brazil" loss

Typical American eats sun up to damn near bed time.

My old window was sun up 6am - to 12-1 at night. And i was FATTT!!! (notice there was ONLY a 5 hour - non-eating window)

For a while, while on a cleanse my window naturally shrunk to 6am-10pm (I lost 25lbs)

My optimal window I'm shooting for is a 10-12 hour eating window. 6-6 or 6-4. I lose weight damn near no matter what I eat. using this window.

For a short time (when I could handle the stress) at work I tried a new window of one big meal at 6am and one big meal at 2. Then water for the rest of the day. I was dropping like a pound a day.

If you eat when you rise 6-8 am and then again at 12-2pm - And that's it for the day - If you eat healthier food - you are brazillian beach bound.
    Last edited by Yolo Twerkins; 15-01-14 at 02:39 AM.

Status
    Liked

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cutdogg03 View Post
    I'm currently testing an unusual diet I came up with, seeing if it works. Currently I skip breakfast, I eat 2 mid-sized apples, 1 banana and a protein shake for lunch, and for dinner I eat 2 cans of tuna, after I work out. I drink nothing but water. Gonna test it out for a week, see how it goes. What do you guys think, does this sound healthy?
    This is essentially a variant of the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) used by bodybuilders during cut season. The primary differences are the inclusion of some fruits, which would not have much of an impact on the effectiveness of the diet, and your comparatively lower overall protein intake re: PSMF.

The breakfast-skipping alarmists are responding to the same correlative (not causative) factors that inspired the widespread notion that having a meal in the morning was somehow necessary for normal (much less -optimal-) functioning. It simply isn't, and you can see the results for yourself.

That said, the aforementioned diet is very useful for obtaining the effects of a complete fast without losing muscle tone in the process. It is recommended (and I recommend, as well) to do it for a short period of time to see how your body responds, perhaps up to a week. Depending on your fat levels, you could do a diet of this caliber for several weeks and see dramatic results.

The key with your diet, the PSMF, or any other very low calorie diet is -how- you ease back out of the diet. It is imperative that you increase your caloric input -gradually- to account for your body's significantly lowered metabolic rate. Doing otherwise and packing on the calories more quickly will result in your storing more than you did before, and your 'rise' back to the top of the scales will make the losses you gained with your diet look laughable.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like any suggestions for managing a diet like yours.
    Last edited by Senzo; 17-01-14 at 02:31 PM.

Status
    Liked
    Two cans of tuna a day? Should be two max per week due to mercury in the fish.

Edit: Actually two servings per week, so one can.

Status
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Qbert View Post
    Two cans of tuna a day? Should be two max per week due to mercury in the fish.

Edit: Actually two servings per week, so one can.
    Seconded. Two cans of solid white albacore a week max. If you're eating that chunk lite tuna you can get away with more as they don't have the mercury problem as much being a smaller type of tuna. Still, rotate in a chicken breast or salmon fillet. No real price difference.

Experienced Member

Status
    Liked
    If you're trying to cut some weight for the short term, eat Paleo. Meats, vegetables, fruits. Don't overdo tubers tho like potatoes, sweet potatoes because those have more calories. Eating only fruit is not healthy, I have tried it. I was overweight before and lost the weight by going on a fruit fast. I wasn't eating enough calories tho and I kept getting constant headaches. I eventually added more foods because I was feeling lethargic.

You don't need much meat in your diet unless you're trying to bulk. Vegetables (mainly green) with some fruit and some meat is the way to go. The amounts you listed doesn't sound like enough calories and the body needs more than that. Skipping breakfast is not good because your blood sugar will get low unless you supply your body with food throughout the day. Every 4-6 hours. I would not recommend grains or gluten because if you eat them, they make you crave more food.

Status
    Liked
    I am on the Warrior Diet. It is a type of intermittent fasting eating style.

Suits me as I travel often.